Skip to main content

Meet Kallidad...The Fast & not so Furious

"If everyone does their thing...if everyone is true to themselves, then society would all fit into place perfectly. There is a possibility of peace on Earth." Jacinko

I don't know about you, but I'm all for trying new things. So when I was offered the opportunity to watch a Mexican Flamenco Band play on a yacht on the beautiful Sunshine Coast of Queensland, how could I refuse? Before embarking on this rock star adventure I did some research as I'm none too familiar with this style of music; what I found was...Kallidad are a Mexican Mariachi metal band with a Flamenco twist like fast, furious phonic fire that quickly had my toes tapping.

Senor Bang Bang, The Raven and Jacinko have a very individual style not mimicked by anyone, what they have created intuitively is something truly unique and amazing and here's how that all came about....
 
"it's the love of the guitar..."
 
 

Rellish: You've got a really unique genre that you guys play. How did you find that sound that suits you so well?

Tom: "Ever since day one it's been like a completely evolving, growing snowball thing...it just develops...we never set out to be this type of band, we felt comfortable doing it and people enjoy it and we enjoy it."

Jacinko: "The busking helped develop a lot of those early days, the sound, the simplicity and we got a lot of the drive of our sound from busking."

Rellish: So with the busking, what was your biggest 'pinch me' moment where you realised that you could really do something big with your music?"

Julian: "The biggest one was our first festival, we played Rainbow Serpent. That was like, the first time we used the face paint. We played at 4pm Australia Day... There were people just wandering in to hear us play and really getting into it... I remember thinking 'we're getting paid to play this festival'.

Jacinko: "There was a moment n our second or third ever busk... we were busking and there was like 20 or so people at one o'clock in the morning in Bondi and they were absolutely losing their sh*t...I was like, if we can do this for 20 people, we can do this for 2000 people...I thought how on Earth... and Tom wasn't all that experienced, these people were going mental, and for me this band and this music is special...you know, we're clowning around and this is happening."

Rellish: So everything just sort of evolved naturally... I believe it's these things that come naturally that should be pursued, do you agree?

Jacinko: "Everything with this band has come naturally. The line up was natural, the face paint was a accident, the sound was an accident, even our first gig was an accident! Someone picked us up when we were busking...we weren't even asking for gigs or even considering we were at a level where we thought anyone would want to put us in public. Everything has been an accident."

Rellish: "I love the idea of the face paint. I was wondering if after you started using the face paint, did that develop your stage persona and performance art?"

Tom: "Yeah... It feels like when your putting it on, you kinda enter battle mode almost. You know, you put it on and it's show time, you go out, you do your thing and in my case... You can be a bit of a larrikin... Then you come off stage, wash it off and leave that persona back on stage."

Jacinko: "My face paint character is a lot more flamboyant, I guess verging on arrogant, but that's not me, that's him."

Rellish: "You guys have come so far... What is your definition of success thus far?"

Tom: "Playing on a boat on the Sunshine Coast on a Sunday afternoon...with beers."

Kallidad: "Quitting our day jobs!"

Jacinko: "That was victory. Waking up in the morning and you either have Kallidad, or whatever you want. That's amazing... Not having an alarm clock"


Kallidad are about to embark on a tour throughout Europe, then it's back to our shores for dates all along the East Coast, starting in Port Macquarie at Pier Clarence on September 9 and finishing in Brisbane's Motor Room on November 14...Brought to you by Beats Cartel.



Website: http://www.kallidad.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kallidad?fref=ts
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/kallidad

Feed your like mind with Rellish Muse Chick: https://www.facebook.com/rellishthemuse?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filling the Girl Punk Voiid

Walking into the Foundry early, I was pretty keen on the night's line-up. There was a crowd starting to mill around the stage and a bit of a buzz to be honest, tonight’s headliners are the irrepressible Bleeding Knees Club with The Pinheadz & Voiid supporting…this was not the first I’d heard of the ostentatious girl group.  In fact I was looking forward to seeing some girlshreik, it had been a while since I’d heard an all girl punk band that impressed me to be honest. The girls were all so comfortable in their skin on stage, an electric presence that flaunted true punk ego. They sauntered onto stage, and with an almighty bass line they launched straight into it as did the crowd. Voiid certainly have built a local following and everyone was writhing & cascading all over the joint with enthusiasm. Obvious influences came shining through, I decided I needed to have a little chat with the girls to spread the word on the hot asfuck sounds hitting my earholes… So you got

A Decade of Sun, Surf and Soul for the Sunshine Coast.

I sit watching the whales play with the salty air in my nostrils, as I listen to the grind of the coffee machine and the clink of cutlery I am reminded that I am starving hungry. It is the morning after the Caloundra Music Festival 2016, the 10th Anniversary event, and all morning my brain has been busily breaking down the humbling personal experiences and spectacular acts enjoyed over the last four busy days. Having attended the last nine CMF festival events I can confidently say it wasn't the very best one for me, however the quality of emerging artists was definitely the best I've seen at this particular event.    The calibre of emerging acts such as The Ruiins, The Swamp Stompers, Bearfoot, Pete Allan, Doolie and Dan Horne certainly raised some eyebrows and unquestionably got many toes tapping. Of course the headlining acts are always popular with the masses and I feel this year did not disappoint. The Preatures, Incognito, Tower of Power, Erica Falls and Illy

Alternate Pop Sweetheart Making Soundwaves

Emerging young Sunshine Coast songwriter and alternative pop artist Doolie has been g aining popularity while catching the attention of a host of music industry professionals in Australia and abroad. Doolie's strong lilting vocals and modern percussive driven sound is a refreshing entry into the current music scene. Putting a lot of focus in the last three years into live performances, Doolie has an EP release marked for the end of 2016 and admits, b uilding a career whilst a challenge, is a top priority.   As she draws inspiration from established musicians like Banks, Vera Blue, Airling, George Maple and Flume, it is clear Doolie is carving her own niche in today's scene. The recent nomination for 'Most Promising Female Songwriter' in the Queensland Music Awards is an indication of her talent and dedication to her passion, as these nominations are generally reserved as a benchmark for musicians who have a more established profile. C ulminating in a win for ‘Best Song’