Skip to main content

The Heart of Irish Tradition Beats Strong.




I had no expectations as I took my seat in the stalls mid evening, the crowd shushing around me and the last few shufflers finding their chairs. After a warm welcome to the show with Plastic Fantastic opening the set, a beautiful rendition of Summerfly was performed by Katherine Allan. I say warm welcome because it felt as if I was sitting in on a big family reunion of sorts, where all were part of the extended family. The stage was set with simple yet stylish banners & lighting, and the Sasta musicians sat perched on their stools keen to get on with the show. A few introductions were made and then the traditional step dancing began. As the fiery, champion dancers took the floor, my breath was taken away by their remarkable talent. It was clear that the heart of tradition was beating strongly throughout this first set of the performance.


The team performed in great gusto with traditional green velvet dresses for the ladies & a smart casual look for the guys, which was followed through the night by some creative costume changes. We were treated to some amazing instrumental pieces and a couple of bold narratives from Irish Joe, a true life seanchai from County Cork. Irish Joe’s epic, memorised story telling had me laughing and crying, what a marvellous troubadore. By the time the lights signalled intermission, all the audience were chattering delightedly about the show so far. Soon the bell rang, we all gathered in to our chairs once more and without further ado the magnificent dancers kicked up their heels again.



As the first half of the evening went, so did the second. In full tradition of tale and song; the dancers got among the audience and even the daughter of one of the musicians, performed on stage. Much merriment and enjoyment, signalled by the cheers and claps, was tell that all had thoroughly enjoyed the show. All involved had obviously worked together with much love and effort. I must say, having never experienced anything like this before, I entered without expectation and was rewarded with a supremely entertaining evening. The dancing was electric, the talented musicians truly in tune with each other, and the flow of the whole evening was a fully engaging, interactive night of folklore and folly.

Explore the Heart of Ireland for yourself on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filling the Girl Punk Voiid

Walking into the Foundry early, I was pretty keen on the night's line-up. There was a crowd starting to mill around the stage and a bit of a buzz to be honest, tonight’s headliners are the irrepressible Bleeding Knees Club with The Pinheadz & Voiid supporting…this was not the first I’d heard of the ostentatious girl group.  In fact I was looking forward to seeing some girlshreik, it had been a while since I’d heard an all girl punk band that impressed me to be honest. The girls were all so comfortable in their skin on stage, an electric presence that flaunted true punk ego. They sauntered onto stage, and with an almighty bass line they launched straight into it as did the crowd. Voiid certainly have built a local following and everyone was writhing & cascading all over the joint with enthusiasm. Obvious influences came shining through, I decided I needed to have a little chat with the girls to spread the word on the hot asfuck sounds hitting my earholes… So you got

A Decade of Sun, Surf and Soul for the Sunshine Coast.

I sit watching the whales play with the salty air in my nostrils, as I listen to the grind of the coffee machine and the clink of cutlery I am reminded that I am starving hungry. It is the morning after the Caloundra Music Festival 2016, the 10th Anniversary event, and all morning my brain has been busily breaking down the humbling personal experiences and spectacular acts enjoyed over the last four busy days. Having attended the last nine CMF festival events I can confidently say it wasn't the very best one for me, however the quality of emerging artists was definitely the best I've seen at this particular event.    The calibre of emerging acts such as The Ruiins, The Swamp Stompers, Bearfoot, Pete Allan, Doolie and Dan Horne certainly raised some eyebrows and unquestionably got many toes tapping. Of course the headlining acts are always popular with the masses and I feel this year did not disappoint. The Preatures, Incognito, Tower of Power, Erica Falls and Illy

The Art of Jungle Love

Leave the banality of domestic life to immerse yourself in a haze of bubbles, music, art & loving souls. As ‘Wanda’ carried our excited crew through the undulating hills, it was evident the recent rains had reinvigorated the land; it felt as if that vibe had saturated the mood of every inhabitant of the line of vehicles winding their way toward the festival entry. Approaching the camping zones was a sloshy affair. Heavy last-minute downpours had in turn led to last minute changes in zone arrangements which the staff communicated and organised with utter professionalism. Instructions were given clearly, everyone helped those in need to get tents up and cars free from thick mud. The show of human spirit and care was truely heartwarming. Luckily, our set up was done and dusted in no time; we were so keen to get entwined in everything Jungle Love had to offer. Eyes open with wonder, soaking up the abundant good vibes, I headed down from camp to kick off my virgin J